Issue: August 2013
Welcome to the August edition of the HousingPEOPLE newsletter - the latest news and events from the Australasian Housing Institute.
Tenant Participation and Engagement Professional Practice Seminar
It is our pleasure to announce that the program for the upcoming Tenant Participation and Engagement Professional Practice Seminar
is almost finalised. With the confirmed speakers and successful case studies from such leading social housing providers as St George Community Housing Ltd, Shelter NSW, Wentworth Community Housing Ltd
; presentations from research fellows, tenant discussion panel and participants from different Australian states, the seminar will provide with an exceptional opportunity to explore strategy, initiatives and good practice to engage with tenants. Download the full program
The Seminar will be held in Sydney on 17th September 2013. Register on-line.
Thank you to our Sponsors:
Session Sponsors: Wentworth Community Housing Limited
, Pacific Link
The AHI Seminars give exceptional opportunities for sponsorship. Sponsorship enables businesses to highlight their support of the housing sector, effectively network with the target audience and enable the AHI to deliver a first-rate events. Download a brochure for sponsors.
2013 Awards Program
Don't forget that the 31st of August is your last chance to nominate your colleagues, project teams or the whole organisation for the AHI Professional Excellence in Housing Awards
. The AHI Awards Program is an exceptional opportunity for you to recognise the work undertaken by your colleagues, acknowledging them with a nomination and celebrating their achievements. It is also a chance to promote your organisation and current projects and share your successful stories with other professionals in the industry.
Nominations are open until 31st August
for everyone who works in the housing sector, whether in a paid or volunteer role. The 2013 AHI Awards feature eight categories
: Inspirational Colleague, Outstanding Achievement, Excellence in Social Housing, Leading Innovation, Leading Housing Project, Leading Asset Management, Leading Tenants Engagement Practice, Tenant Led Initiative. Read more about 2013 AHI Awards Program.
The National Award Winners
will then be announced on the 30th October 2013
at the Awards Presentation Dinner
which will be held during the 8th National Housing Conference in Adelaide
. Register for the event on-line
2013 AHI Awards
We would like to thank sponsors that have already committed to supporting the 2013 Awards Program: Lake Maintenance Pty Ltd
(Silver Sponsor of the Program), Brisbane Housing Company Limited, CHINTARO, Housing Action Network, NFPAS, bankmecuand Perform HR (Category Sponsors).
Attractive sponsorship packages
are available, download
the Sponsorship Opportunities Brochure.
Download the 2013 Nomination Form
AHI Professional Networks
Networking Breakfast in Brisbane with the Hon Tim Mander MP, Minister for Housing, was a great success. More than 50 professionals from the industry gathered together for the early breakfast to hear from the Minister and catch up with peers and colleagues. In his informative and engaging presentation the Minister presented his views on the future of housing in Queensland, and spoke about the 2020 plan that has been recently announced by the government. Guests also enjoyed the opportunity to ask questions and share their views and the Minister very kindly communicated with the audience. 'It is impressive how people get engaged to work together for a common goal'
– a quote from one of the participants after the event.
Pictures: Minister Tim Mander with Tony Gilmour, AHI President; Minister Tim Mander with AHI Team members and breakfast guests
We would like to thank the sponsors of the breakfast, your support is greatly appreciated:
Breakfast Sponsor: CHINTARO, Queensland Shelter
UPCOMING Networking Breakfast in the NT
Breakfast with the Hon Peter Chandler, Minister for Housing in the NT
We are pleased to announce that we are continuing our series of Networking Breakfasts with industry leaders
throughout Australasia. Our following event will take place in Darwin. The Hon Peter Chandler,
Minister for Housing in the Northern Territory, has generously agreed to present his portfolio and share his vision for social housing in the Northern Territory and Housing NT under his leadership. The breakfast will be held on Monday, 14th October 2013, 7-9 am, at Mantra Pandanas Darwin. Register for the event on-line.
July 2013 HousingWORKS – Parity Joint Edition
The July 2013 HousingWORKS – Parity Joint Edition is now on the way to AHI members and subscribers! This time the Council to Homeless Persons and the Australasian Housing Institute combined their efforts to give their readers an opportunity to look into the future of social housing. With help of our article contributors and sponsors we have prepared an edition where readers will be able to find different points of view from landlords, tenants, social housing supporters, researches and academics. This joint edition of HousingWORKS and Parity is sponsored by the Tenants Union of Victoria, the Tenants Union of New South Wales, the Community Housing Federation of Australia, HomeGround Services, St Kilda Community Housing, the Community Housing Coalition of Western Australia, Housing Choices Tasmania and National Shelter.
In the meanwhile, for the AHI team it is time to think about the next edition. The October 2013 edition of theHousingWORKS magazine will focus on issues of homelessness and we are seeking for the contributions from the industry. Articles should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com, the deadline for the October 2013 edition is 30th September 2013. Please read our Contribution Guide for more details.
Please, note that the HousingWORKS journal is a part of your AHI Membership Package and you will receive your copy only if your membership fee for 2013-2014 Membership Year is paid. If you haven’t had a chance to renew yet, please download your invoice and renew on-line.
Advertise your business today!
Advertising opportunities are also available in the journal. HousingWORKS is the most efficient media to deliver your message right to your target audience. Our readers include a broad audience of housing professionals: policy and decision makers in government leaders in the growing community housing sphere, finance and property professionals in the private, public and community sectors; housing service delivery practitioners – executives through to front line staff; Indigenous housing and community organisations; supported housing services; tenancy advice; working with the homeless; academics; tenants of social housing organisations. Our rates start just from just $380 with significant discounts for the annual advertising package. Download our advertising brochure.
The National Housing Conference 2013 – a new way home – PROGRAM RELEASED
The biennial National Housing Conferences are the single largest events for the affordable housing sector in the Australasian region. If you are a provider, builder, designer, researcher, policy-maker, supplier or financier working in this sector then you need to be at this conference. The conference program has been developed along a number of key themes that are front and centre in the national conversation this year. These themes include: DisabilityCare and housing provision; The roles of Government, NFP and the private sector in housing supply; Economic development and Indigenous communities; Homelessness prevention through mainstream services; Urban renewal and the supply of affordable housing; and Redesigning the affordable housing market.
Make sure you continue to check the program online
as it's updated regularly. Also, have a look at profiles of the confirmed speakers
so far to get an understanding of the national and international perspectives and expertise that will be on offer in Adelaide. Register now
- Law at the Margins: Challenges of Homelessness, 30 August 2013, Barr Smith Library Adelaide. CHURP (the Centre for Housing, Urban and Regional Planning) and the Adelaide Law School invite you to join us for a discussion followed by drinks and light refreshments during the visit of our colleagues from the UK.
- Social Housing Management Simplified. Free Webinar from CHINTARO. 30th August, 12 – 1 pm (AEST), via GoToMeeting. The Webinar will be helpful for Tenancy Managers, Property / Maintenance Managers as well as Finance Managers of social housing providers.
- 4th Asia-Pacific Housing Forum, 2-4 October 2013, Dusit Thani Manila, the Philippines. The biennial event is a major platform for raising awareness of and formulating creative responses to poverty housing issues among policy makers, business leaders, academia, and civil society in Asia-Pacific. The event, which is on its fourth run, has gathered stakeholders from more than 52 countries since its inception in 2007.
- 8th National Housing Conference, 30 October - 1 November 2013, Adelaide. Convened by AHURI in partnership with Housing SA, the 8th National Housing Conference will provide a platform for sharing, debating, celebrating and promoting ideas in affordable housing research, policy and practice.
- The National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials(NAHRO) is the leading housing and community development advocate for the provision of adequate and affordable housing and strong, viable communities for all Americans—particularly those with low- and moderate-incomes. The National Conference is the industry’s premier event and offers the most comprehensive representation of products and services that manage the nation’s affordable housing stock. Additionally, the conference provides an educational opportunity for housing and community development practitioners and policymakers to network and learn how public, private, and nonprofit groups are overcoming challenges to create affordable housing and build stronger communities.Read more
Please email us to include your upcoming industry event in HousingPEOPLE.
All the best,
the AHI team